Husainabad Clock Tower, a well-known tourist destination in Lucknow, is a beautiful historical structure of intricate beauty.
Built by the Hussainabad Trust in 1881 to mark the arrival of Sir George Couper, the first lieutenant governor of the United Provinces of Oudh, this majestic tower rises to a height of 221 feet.
The construction of Husainabad Tower began under the supervision of Nawab Nasir-ud-din. Also known as Ghantaghar, Husainabad Clock Tower is the tallest clock tower in all of India, in addition to being an outstanding Clock.
The rare and valuable substance gunmetal, which was used in its creation, adds to its historical significance and uniqueness, thus setting it apart.
This unique clock tower is proof of Lucknow’s beautiful architecture and long heritage.
A remarkable 19th-century building in Lucknow, the Husainabad Clock Tower, was constructed as a memorial to Sir George Couper, the second Colonel.
This stunning structure is the replica BIG BEN Clock Tower in London and is close to other well-known sites, including Teele Waali Masjid, Bada Imambara, and Rumi Darwaza.
The tower clock stopped working for a long while and couldn’t show the time for 27 years. However, in 2010, the district administration decided to replace and restore the clock. That’s when Captain Paritosh Chauhan and Akhilesh Agarwal stepped in and offered to fix the clock.
They ensured the clock kept all of its charm for three years while working on it without expecting anything in return. Their efforts began on April 13, 2010, and by October 28, 2010, they had successfully restored the non-working clock to its former glory.
After 27 years of stillness, they were able to finally get the enormous clock tower chime once more on September 13, 2011.
The architecture of Husainabad in Lucknow boasts a remarkable structure designed by Richard Roskell Bayne. With a diameter of 13 feet (4 meters) and a height of 67 meters (220 feet), this tall clock has an appealing Gothic-Victorian design.
Red bricks are used to build the main construction, and gunmetal is used to produce the intricate parts of the clock.
The clock tower is shaped like an octagonal building as it rises from a square base. It is decorated with beautiful plasterwork, marblework, and lovely patterns that bring it to the status of a great work of art. Its 14-foot-long pendulum is one of its most remarkable features.
The clock’s dial, which has twelve petals, adds something unique to its historical significance. This architectural marvel in Lucknow’s Husainabad is a real example of the fusion of creativity and craftsmanship that defined that era.
Interesting Facts about Husainabad Clock Tower
- Husainabad clock tower is the tallest clock tower in India and is also referred as, Ghantaghar
- Richard Roskell Bayne was the architect behind the Husainabad Clock Tower.
- It was constructed for Rs. 1.75 lakhs.
- The design of the tower was inspired by the Big Ben clock tower in London.
- The clock mechanism in the tower was crafted by the famous clockmaker Carl Bernard Schwarz.
- The gunmetal hands of the clock in this belfry were transported from London’s Louisgate Hill.
Entry fee and Timing to Husainabad Clock Tower
There is no fee to see the clock tower, and it is always open to the public without any time restrictions.
How to Reach
- By Airport: The distance between Husainabad Clock Tower and Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport is 15 km and it takes almost 45 min to reach there.
- By Railway: The distance between Husainabad Clock Tower and Lucknow station is 7.3 km and it takes almost 22 min to reach there.
- By Bus: The distance between Husainabad Clock Tower and Charbagh Bus Station is 7.9 km and it takes almost 24 min to reach there.
Q1: When was the Husainabad Clock Tower restored?
Ans. The enormous Husainabad Clock tower chimed once again on September 13, 2011.
Q2: Husainabad Clock Tower is a replica of which tower?
Ans. Husainabad Clock Tower is the replica BIG BEN Clock Tower in London.
Q3: Which is the highest clock tower in India?
Ans. Husainabad Clock Tower is the highest clock tower in India.
Q4: Where is Husainabad Clock Tower located and what is its address?
Ans. It is located Opposite, Husainabad Imambara, Near Rumi Darwaza, Lucknow.
Q5: What are the entry fees of Husainabad Clock Tower?
Ans. There is no entry fee for Husainabad Clock tower.